Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert Different String Names into a Unique Standard Name

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Hi people I have the dataset attached. This is the result of a join using my own input files and other Dataset beyond my control and located in a server with restricted access. I want the column Employee Name to have a unique string model for the name and avoid situations like the ones below:

QUIRRION,DENISE J

QUIRRION, DENISE J

Expected String Model: QUIRRION,DENISE J

DAY, PEG A

DAY, PEG

Expected String Model: DAY, PEG

BUREAU, DIANE D

BUREAU, DIANE

Expected String Model: BUREAU, DIANE

APPLEBEE, CAROL A

APPLEBEE, CAROL

Expected String Model: APPLEBEE, CAROL

This happened this time with this Employee Names, but I'm afraid that this could happen again with other names. What would be a method/approach  I can adopt to develop a solid workflow that can provide consistent results for the Employee Name column.

Thank you in advance for your comments, your support would be really appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

What is the consistent logic you'd want? To remove all middle name initials from the end? In that case, what is the logic for keeping Denise's initial?

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Hi @alexnajm . Thanks for the reply and observation. The names has to be preserved this way LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, without any additional letters, spaces, symbols, etc. 

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Understood - try this out then! Workflow attached:

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Thanks @alexnajm . The only problem is that I'm not able to open it due to my Alteryx version, I have the 2021.2.1. The company  I work for has a pending upgrade to the version 2023.1 for January 20/2024. What do you suggest me to do to open the shared workflow?.

Thanks for your reply.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can still open it - it typically just asks “do you want to try” and it’ll work. 

if not, you can right click on the saved file and edit the version in a text editor like Notepad!

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Thank you @alexnajm I went to the folder and opened the .yxmd attached version. It worked great. I will mark it as solved. 

Labels