Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conversion from xls to xlxs

akshaya2595
5 - Atom

The data that I export from my Applicant Tracking System is default to an xls file (Due to security reasons)

1. Is there a way that I can prep this on alteryx to read the xls file? (Currently, alteryx is unable to recognize the xls file)

2. After it reads the xls file, I would like to convert it to xlxs file and use this data to further make changes to the tool

I cannot pre-save an xls file on my system to xlxs as they are huge files (I am going to append almost 10 files twice a week) and the purpose of using alteryx is to save the opening of these files on my machine.

Thank you for the time and help!

2 REPLIES 2
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @akshaya2595 ,

Ok, a few questions here.

1. What kind of security advantage would you possibly have using .xls over .xlsx?? 

2. Alteryx can read .xls without problems, so what is the issue you're having?

3. You can simply output the file to a .xlsx file if you like, but then it doesn't make sense that you would convert it to read it back in.

Can you be more specific about the problems you are having and what you're trying to achieve?

M.

Bulien

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @akshaya2595 

I assume that you are encounterring the following error when attempting to input a .xls filetype with a Dynamic Input Tool?:

Error: Dynamic Input (2): Error opening table: Microsoft JET Database Engine: The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Sheet1'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.\3011 = -543884569

If yes, you will need to modify the input file path to reference the sheet with eg. C:\temp\Book1.xls|||'Sheet1$' instead of the usual |||Sheet1

Labels