Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Consolidate columns in the same file

linhtranPI
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I need some ideas on how or if it's possible to do this in Alteryx. I attach an example data below.

The issue is that the "Input" tab (which is not called input in my original files, they are all named differently across multiple files, but that's a problem for later), it's formatted like a template where people can enter information. The data looks like it's in table but it's NOT a table. There are some junk/header data, and line 9 is essentially your column headers, but because it's NOT a table, there's repeating/same column name. I highlighted those repeating/same column name in yellow.

The "Output" tab is what I'm envisioning the data should look like, essentially, consolidating the same named columns, and ADDING a new column, and assigning a specific value "A" to the "FIRST SET", and "B" to the "SECOND SET". In addition, column E of the output data will have the opposite value of the original/input SECOND SET. It sounds a bit complicated but hopefully with the attachment, it will make sense.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

I'm testing this first, because the "Input" tab is what I'll be trying to combine from many (100+) files, and I need all these 100+ files/tabs to be on the same worksheet/output. The original input tab all have somewhat similar template (but not exactly) the same. 

4 REPLIES 4
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Can you include the actual column names? Are there only ever 10 columns per group. Knowing the exact requirements helps as we can generate a workflow based on the example, but if the scope changes, its going to require altering the workflow. 

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Would  a batch macro works setting the config to same positon?

linhtranPI
6 - Meteoroid

I reformatted the file/attachment to make the headers a bit easier to understand. There's supposed to the same/9 columns in each set in the template. People can and do add additional one, but worst come to it, I think I can always just delete their extra columns before bringing them in Alteryx. So please go ahead with the 9 columns assumption. Thank you!

linhtranPI
6 - Meteoroid

I'm unfortunately not advance enough to understand this explanation. Would you mind elaborate a little more (through a workflow) or point me to the community article that I can review? 

I re-formatted the data to make it look a bit easier to understand below. Thank you!

Labels