Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional Formatting columns Issue

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am trying to conditional format by column via the Table Tool. Below is an example of the column with the equation. Upon running, i receive an output/error. Can you please let me know where i am going wrong, thanks.

Equation:

IF [Total Remaining Hours]<= 0 THEN "color: green;" ELSE "color: red;" EndIF

Negative = Red, Positive = Green

Output Error:

Output Data (1789) Max character width supported by Excel for a single cell exceeded, 47831 characters were truncated. fieldname: Table record number: 2

Data:

Total Remaining Hours

4 REPLIES 4
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi @AustinRiggs94,

I'm not sure how you were getting that error, but try using what I came up with in the attached workflow. I was able to get the conditional formatting by introducing two row rules.

Best,

mmenth

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The equation you listed, are you entering that into the Formula field of the Column Styling Rules? That formula is only to return a true/false value for the application of each rule.

I suggest you create two column rules: one for red, one for green.

20190304-ColumnRules.png

AustinRiggs94
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the solutions, they both worked. However i am still getting an error while outputting to a regular Xlsx format (Output Tool). Does the table tool only output correctly via the Render tool? If so is there a way to adjust column width to "autofit" column width? Please let me know, thanks again.

mmenth
11 - Bolide

Ah yes you'll have to use the render tool to output with the reporting tools. As far as I know there is not way to autofit the columns, although you can play with the paper size/margins in order to get it as close as possible. I think the reporting tools actually make it a little easier in that regard as opposed to the regular output tool where adjusting column size is definitely not an option.

Labels