Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concat String Fields

Rishabwadhwa
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

So I'd like to dynamically concatenate my columns from the input file that I provide to my workflow. For example - I have an excel input which looks like this 

(see attachment)

2020-04-28_11-39-45.png

As you can see, the image that I get sometimes all the information is present in the"Summary of Comments" field, and sometimes its spread across the other fields. So the workflow that I have current built, essentially, brings ll the fields together with the following formula - trim([Summary of Comments]+ +[F2]+" "+[F3]+" "+[F4]+" "+[F5]+" "+[F6]+" "+[F7]+" "+[F8]+" "+[F9])

But I would like to dynamically populate that, because sometimes, the fields might be till F15. In a nutshell, the number of fields can vary from 1 to 15 additional fields, i.e., Summary of Comments Field with No additional field, or Summary of Comments Field with 15 other additional fields. 

I tried performing the transpose and then concatenating the fields using a summary tool, but that didnt work either. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

To summarize in one line the problem statement - i would like to somehow bring all the data that may/maynot be spread across the columns, in a single column under " Summary of Comments" after which I can then go ahead and performing my transformation logic. 

2 REPLIES 2
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Rishabwadhwa,

You were along the right lines with transpose and summarise:

Before:

image.png

After:

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

DPHI
5 - Atom

This was very helpful @Jonathan-Sherman. Thank you for this solution

Labels