Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concat String Fields

Rishabwadhwa
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

So I'd like to dynamically concatenate my columns from the input file that I provide to my workflow. For example - I have an excel input which looks like this 

(see attachment)

2020-04-28_11-39-45.png

As you can see, the image that I get sometimes all the information is present in the"Summary of Comments" field, and sometimes its spread across the other fields. So the workflow that I have current built, essentially, brings ll the fields together with the following formula - trim([Summary of Comments]+ +[F2]+" "+[F3]+" "+[F4]+" "+[F5]+" "+[F6]+" "+[F7]+" "+[F8]+" "+[F9])

But I would like to dynamically populate that, because sometimes, the fields might be till F15. In a nutshell, the number of fields can vary from 1 to 15 additional fields, i.e., Summary of Comments Field with No additional field, or Summary of Comments Field with 15 other additional fields. 

I tried performing the transpose and then concatenating the fields using a summary tool, but that didnt work either. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

To summarize in one line the problem statement - i would like to somehow bring all the data that may/maynot be spread across the columns, in a single column under " Summary of Comments" after which I can then go ahead and performing my transformation logic. 

2 REPLIES 2
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Rishabwadhwa,

You were along the right lines with transpose and summarise:

Before:

image.png

After:

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

DPHI
5 - Atom

This was very helpful @Jonathan-Sherman. Thank you for this solution

Labels