Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing Column headers from 2 datasets

bmyles
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

I have 2 files and I would like to compare their column names. This on its own is easy enough, but after the comparison I would like to continue the workflow differently depending on whether or not the format is identical.

If the headers are all equal, I would like to continue processing the data as normal, but if any of the headers are different, I would like to send an alert email using the Email Tool, and NOT process the data (because doing so will cause an error, and the email will not send)

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

Hi Ben,

Do you have sample data in a workflow that we can work with? I have an idea of how solve it, but am kind of curious what we're looking at.

Thanks,

Greg 

bmyles
6 - Meteoroid

Greg,

Here is my idea so far. In the workflow provided, only 1 of the "Real data" inputs should be used, because this file will change daily and sometimes it will not be in the proper format.

I am stuck on the portion of work to go after the TRUE tab on the filter tool. The original data needs to be processed but only if there is a record flowing through the TRUE tab.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Very similar to the workflow you attached:

image.png

This Joins based on Record Position --- note that this will say the headers don't match if they come in a different order, even if they're named the same.

Hope it helps!

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi, it is not an elegant way of doing it but it seems to work.

Capture1.PNG

bmyles
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you danrh and jasperlch! Both of these solutions work great!

Labels