Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining Many Excel Docs

paigeblackstone
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to Alteryx and have some tasks that I need to complete but I am not entirely sure how. Here is some background:

I have about 350 excel docs that I need to combine into 1. They all have the same fields, however none of the documents contain field names for these fields. I know how to add field names to a single doc in Alteryx, but unsure how to apply this to the other ~349 docs without doing it manually.

It seems like this may need to happen in two steps, 1 being the addition of field names, and 2 being the union of all 350 data sets.

So my questions are as follows:

1. How can I create an automated process in Alteryx that can add the same field names to each and every excel doc? Can I use a macro for this? Never created a macro so any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

2. Once I've added field names to the documents, how can I use a macro to combine all ~350 excel data sets?

Attaching screenshots of workflows for reference, unfortunately can't provide raw data as it is confidential. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@paigeblackstone,

Have you heard of CReW macros (www.chaosreignswithin.com) ?  There is a Wildcard XLSX Input macro that should work for you (remember to uncheck "Field names in data")

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
paigeblackstone
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, I have not heard of this so I am going to try it out now!

But first....

When I go to open the one you suggested, I get a warning that reads "This workflow references macros (CReW_WildcardXLSXInput.yxmcbatch, CReW_WildcardXLSXInput.yxmcbatch) that are missing or inaccessible. Saving this workflow will permanently disable these tools"

Is that okay to ignore? Or is it going to mess things up? Please let me know. Thanks so much again!

Labels