Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Clearing Data in Template before Overwrite

pmelikian
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a workflow that overwrites data within a .xlsx template. The overwrite works fine but I am having issues when the data that was previously there is larger than what it is being overwritten (see example senerio below). Is there a way to clear a data range before it gets overwritten? or possibly fill in the remaining lines with null values?

Example: Say there was 10 lines of data on a template and I run the workflow and overwrite the file with new data that is only 5 lines. I am still seeing 10 lines of data. 5 lines of new data + the bottom 5 from the previous dataset that did not get overwritten. 

Any advice is appreciated here.

thanks

Paul 

22 REPLIES 22
dhanyaantonyp
5 - Atom

Hi ,

When I import its downloading as .yzxp and not able to get yxmd. 

dhanyaantonyp
5 - Atom

Got it. Thanks Luke

pozzyal
6 - Meteoroid

@luke_c Thank you for this! I'm in fact already using template files, I copy all 20 (1 per country) to a folder and run it, over-writing the old data. This works, but what I needed was a way to rename the files, and/or do the copying automatically, rather than manually. I'm thinking I can figure out the run tool easily enough, given what you've provided here - thanks again!

gaitonde25
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C , Could you please share the .bat file also for copy and rename

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@gaitonde25 there are no .bat files to share, the workflow i posted creates them on the fly in the temp folder

gaitonde25
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C , what will be the command in %temp%.Copy.bat and %temp%\Rename.bat files.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @gaitonde25 The formula tool in each container creates the command.

gaitonde25
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C , I have attached both files here. The wf will generate output file on each run. So we want to format the excel file as output(attached file). Could you please create a sample workflow

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @gaitonde25 is there something specific about the sample workflow I posted that's not working? Most people have been able to adapt it to meet their needs. I'd be happy to address specific questions but I don't have time to build a workflow from scratch for you. 

gaitonde25
7 - Meteor

@Luke_C i have changed both the input, output file and getting that error 

gaitonde25_0-1659445940837.png

.Error: Run Command (15): The external program "%temp%\Rename.bat" returned an error code: 1

Labels