Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chaining dynamic filters

markashman
8 - Asteroid

I have a dynamic filter from a list box with 3 choices, which works fine.

I want to link this to secondary filter based on the 1st selection, but the 2nd list box does not update based on the selection from the 1st selection box.

I had thought I could put them in control containers, making the 2nd linked to the 1st, but sadly input tools in control containers are not supported :(

Anyone have any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
shancmiralles
9 - Comet

hi @markashman  ! 
have your tried the Condition tool? 

hope this helps! 

markashman
8 - Asteroid

Can you elongate please, not sure how this helps. I have created a same flow the demos the issue.

shancmiralles
9 - Comet

hi! yeah.. i'm unable to open any WFs since im away from my computer but the "Condition" tool (it's under the Interface tools of your tool pallet) is like a true or false tool.. so like if i choose option 1  it will give me  out put anchors for choices available for the option 1..

if you want to continue with this chain app , more info on chain app and sample work flow can be found here ( https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications-1583459130897 ) .  

markashman
8 - Asteroid

I did wonder about chained apps, but having never used before not sure about the user experience, as want it to be seamless: select type from 1st tab then, depending on the choice, the 2nd tab shows corresponding values. Seems to be to do this via condition would need a true path for each variant in tab 1, which seems excessive. Individually dynamic filters work fine, but joining them doesn't as the 2nd tab doesn't show any values, which I just don't understand.

shancmiralles
9 - Comet

yeah.. try to use the sample workflow on the link i gave you .. the configuration on the action tool is really tricky if you are not careful!

markashman
8 - Asteroid

I do hope that is not the only option, as its not great from a user perspective as totally sequential a > b > c, you cannot go back a step and have to wait for each app UI to load, linked tabs in 1 app ui would be much cleaner.

shancmiralles
9 - Comet

hi! your initial question doesn't include inquiry about having back option.. anyways... 
here is a link on doing an app with back button option   https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Back-Button-in-Alteryx-Chained...   ..

i do hope the 2 links that i have provided gives you an idea on how to do your app and resolve this inquiry! :)

enjoy building your  Work Flow! 

markashman
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, will take a look in the morning with a fresh head

johnaberham
5 - Atom

Does not seem to be working for me

Please check

Labels