Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating team size using iterative macro

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have this workflow with an iterative macro. I had downloaded the macro from some other post on the community. What I want to get as output is the team size for all the employees who are managers. I have attached a sample workflow with dummy data.

In the real data (the one I have), the results are correct for most employees, but incorrect for managers with very large teams. I'm unable to find what is the problem.

Can someone please help out?

12 REPLIES 12
Clifford_Coon
11 - Bolide

Hi @Dheeru28 ,

Have you tried changing the maximum number of iterations?

This could cause it to exit early on large groups.

test.jpg

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Clifford_Coon 

Thanks for your reply. I changed the max no of iterations to 250. Still not working.

If you have any other thoughts please let me know.

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

The problem is that you're losing data by joining the iteration input to itself, and losing anyone managed by people who have already left the macro.  The macro is also a lot more complicated than it needs to be.  I've removed tools that are unnecessary and added a new input that doesn't change with the different iterations.

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

@Christina_H 

Thank you. It's simpler now with less tools.

But still the same issue. When I calculate in excel, it's correct. But on Alteryx, results are incorrect for quite a good number of managers.

The total no of rows (in my data) are close to 3 lakhs.

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

@Dheeru28 

OK, are you able to share some sample data where it doesn't work correctly?  I've made it work for the data you've provided, but I can't easily determine what's going wrong with different data.

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

Yes, in my actual data I was using a filter before the macro.

Here, I've done the same and now results are incorrect.

Please see the attached workflow. It has 2 workflows, one without filters and one with filter. The macro used is the one you gave (simplified one).

Can you suggest some way to resolve this?

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

By filtering before the macro, it's calculating group sizes based on the filtered data.  What is the correct outcome in this case?  Since you're filtering to group A and all managers are in group A, it is correctly calculating the number of group A employees for each manager.  What should it be showing instead?

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

There is a rule: Any person from Group B shouldn't be included in the calculations for team size.

(For my data) In excel, I use formula with ifs & sumifs and the Group column has 1 & 0 instead of A & B. So, employee_number that don't need to be counted are automatically excluded as they have 0 value.

Here, I think putting a filter is not working. So, is there any other way we can get the same outcome as in excel?

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

I think that's what it's doing?

Christina_H_3-1686133789268.pngChristina_H_2-1686133554866.png

Employee 4963 is managing two employees, one A and one B.  Team size is returned as 1.

Employee 4093 manages Bs only, so isn't shown as a manager here.

Employee 5691 manages a large mixed team, and the size is correctly shown as the number of A employees (9).

Labels