Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Browse In-DB slowing down workflow, connected to Oracle

SarahBike
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - I recently had to change my connections to our Oracle database, and I'm having some issues with workflows. A workflow that uses all In-DB tools will take less than a minute to run, but if I add a Browse In-DB tool it suddenly takes hours. I've also tried using the Sample In-DB tool to grab maybe 50 records and do a Data Stream Out tool, and that also takes forever. I can't figure out what to do to speed up the workflow while still being able to view a sample set of the data. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
19 - Altair

enable logging at your odbc driver level and review the logs. It sounds like the issue is in how the results are going into memory (so probably a driver/tech tech issue vs an Alteryx issue - but just to be sure - turn off AMP).

SarahBike
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't get the logging to work - no log would be saved that I could find. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Not an Alteryx log - an odbc driver log. you have to enable that at the ODBC driver config in ODBC 64. You should be able to specify a location. 

SarahBike
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you! I think I realized the problem - the table I'm pulling is enormous, and it's year-end for us so lots of people writing queries. A colleague helped me identify some filters to shrink my query down a bit before exporting or using the browse tool. 

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @SarahBike  Some things to think about :
-fine tuning your oracle driver
-separate your data stream out and your workflow
-if your DSO is here to get an idea of the final table, be sure to plug it after the write in db, not making a Y.

Best regards,

Simon

SarahBike
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!!!

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @SarahBike  Can you please set the status to solved if it's solved?

Best regards,

Simon

SarahBike
6 - Meteoroid

It is! I actually ended up applying some filters and exporting the data to an Alteryx DB (ie a full data set for each year I needed), and then pulling in each Alteryx DB. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels