Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Batch input of multiple files from one folder error - Unable to open file for read

yizhuo
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I built a batch input macro to read multiple xlsx files from a folder on our company's shared drive for further analysis. However, one file appears to have yield the same error message every time I run the model - "Error: Batch Input Macro_905(c) (4): Record #29: Tool #1: Unable to open file for read: Z:\Amended TR\Amended - By Entity\~$****.xlsx". 

I am guessing the reason is the file is somehow opened by someone else. But I can actually open & edit it, meaning it was not opened. 

yizhuo_2-1623794741356.png

Do anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks very much! 

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@yizhuo 

Judging by the naming, it might one of those temp files.

Maybe it is hidden can you can check by changing the foler view option.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@yizhuo 

One way to avoid the "temp file" issue is to constraint the files that you want to pass through the batch macro. E.g. only Files whose names start with a word, instead of ~.

Dawn.

yizhuo
7 - Meteor

Thanks! I can in fact open and edit this file. However, for some reason, Alteryx is treating it like a temp file. Do you happen to know if there's any solution to make the file not temp? 

yizhuo
7 - Meteor

Thanks! But I actually want to include this file in my data pull. I can in fact open and edit this file. However, for some reason, Alteryx is treating it like a temp file...Not sure if you know any solution to treat this file as a non-temp file? 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Not the best solution - but perhaps a rename via command tool (or python/R tool) prior to pulling?

Labels