Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Automating outlook email reminders - Very new to Alteryx

verynewnovice123
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am very new to Alteryx. I am looking to automate repetitive manual tasks. For example, I created a test workflow to send a reminder email to myself from outlook with an input excel file. I was able to execute the workflow by adding text in the subject and email body.

However, I want to be able to include a standard image with company logo, standard tabular image originally created in excel and am struggling. I tried navigating to Reporting tab which has an image and table option. But not sure if I need to save the standard images as a .png file because when I send out the emails, I just copy/paste from the previous email that was sent out.

I have half a dozen such emails that I sent out during different times within a month or maybe even twice a month with different subject, email body content, some not needing the images, just plain text. Can I combine all into one workflow or do I need to create one workflow for each auto task?

I am unable to paste example screenshots.

Thanks in advance for your time, help and support, much appreciated.

Verynewnovide123

1 REPLY 1
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @verynewnovice123 
What you are looking to do is absolutely possible!
I have attached a sample workflow that goes over what you would need in order to start this process.

sample templates.PNG

From the above screenshot, you can use an input text document to build some of the necessary fields.
This would include the following:

• Name (subject of the email) 
  • Value (email body)
  • When to use (day of the month you want this to run)
    • You will need the ability to schedule your workflows if you wish to automate this, which will require a Server license. Otherwise, you will be running this manually on the specified day.
  • TO ( whos getting this email?)

When you are setting this workflow up, you will want to make sure you have a template row set for each day you plan to run the workflow.

When you start setting up your report tool, you will want to create a new field (in the sample, it's labeled "text".)
You can add your company logo here, with a signature. I added the "Value" field, as this contains my email body samples.

You would need to play around with this some more to make it that images only apply on specific templates, but this should get you started!

As for adding excel data to your workflow, I would start by looking at the below post!
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-to-word-document-email-template...

Good luck!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
Labels