Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Auto adjust the column width on excel output file

sunilk
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I'm a newbie on Alteryx. On my excel output file, I would like all the columns on the output file to auto adjust. Please let me know how I can achieve this result considering.

Best Regards

Sunil k

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

If you use the table and then render tools (Reporting Tools) then you should be able to set the column width etc there ready for your output.

sunilk
6 - Meteoroid

I tried with a render tool but it didn't work for me.

Thank you!

rfoster7
9 - Comet

There's not a native Alteryx way to do this, that I know of. I built a macro that uses cscript to run a script post writing the file to adjust the column width. The same macro has a checkbox for auto refreshing pivot tables, but you can uncheck that if you don't have any pivot tables. It's overbuilt for what you want, but if you open it up you'll see how I'm building a cscript executable and running it using the run cmd. you should be able to get what you need out of it. 

You could do the same thing with python, but this is a simple way i developed before the python tool dropped. 

DataNath
17 - Castor

You might need to adjust page size settings in the render tool as this may still be squashing where you have made cells wider in the table tool. I think you should be able to solve your issue with these two tools, just need to play around with configuration.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

2 ways:

1) render - takes a while to get the hang of - make sure your page is large enough to accommodate your fields.

2) Create excel document first - set up formats you want - use overwrite sheet or range and preserve formatting. make sure you use excelfile|||sheetname$fullrange (beginning and end) syntax.

Labels