Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Assigning Customers to Quartile Groups , Customer Segmentation

dishamishra
7 - Meteor

Hi there!

I have a table of customers which I would like to segment into 4 groups, and I was hoping one of the experts here might be able to help!

As an example, my summarized table (grouped by customers, sum of quantity and margins) looks like this:

Alteryx.png

My
end result is to group each customer into 1 of 4 buckets:

- High Volume, High Margin

- High Volume, Low Margin

- Low Volume, High Margin

- Low Volume, Low Margin

Question: How can I create two quartile calculations, which segment each of the "Quantity" and "Gross Margin" fields into quartiles, so that I can compare the combination of results and bucket the customers into the 4 groups mentioned above?

Alternatively, is there any other way of achieving this without quartiles?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
ConnorK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dishamishra,

For this I would try using the "Tile" tool in "Preparation". The "Smart Tile" function in this tool splits the data into different tiles (or groups) based on 3 levels of standard deviation.

- Here is a link to a demonstration on the Tile tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DoBvoxFk5s

I hope this helps!

Connor Kelleher
Senior Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels