Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

App with Email Reporting tool

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Hi, I have an app that when I run it through the Interface Designer it will successfully complete but when I try running it from the Gallery I get the below:

ComposerEmailInterface: Record#1 To Field is Empty (ToolId: 637)

The app allows the user to upload an excel(xlsx) file, add their email address and add email address, separated by a semi-colon, for anyone they want to cc.

I can run it successfully from my local designer, Interface Designer, and from the server's Designer but get that same message from running it in the Gallery.  I have a Text Box entry for both the 'email_TO' and 'email_CC' fields which gets pulled into the "Email" reporting tool at runtime.

BonusCup_0-1683211334549.png 

BonusCup_1-1683211362533.png

Has anyone seen this error before? How did you resolve?  TIA

11 REPLIES 11
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @BonusCup , not sure why this is happening, but to troubleshoot I would try directly updating the email tool with the text box like so:

FinnCharlton_0-1683212334647.png

As you're just trying to send one email, this method should fix your problem if it works. 

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@FinnCharlton thanks for that info.  That seems to have fixed that particular issue and brought up a new problem.  

The app allows a user to upload an xlsx file and in the Input Data connector I bring in the 'Full Path' so I can capture the filename and sheet name to create a subject line for each time the app is run.  

If I hard code a subject line into the Email tool, the app will run successfully in the Gallery.  But, when I clear the subject line and use the created subject field I receive 'Record#1: SRCMimeMessage::SendEmail:: There is no Subject. (ToolId: 216)

Manual subject line works:

BonusCup_0-1684252791068.png

I'm at a loss as to why this won't work.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

During troubleshooting I found that in the Input Data, if I select 'File Name Only' from the dropdown, I can use that in a custom subject line and it comes across when ran from the Gallery.

BUT, if I select 'Full Path' from the dropdown and then use the regex tool to parse the FileName and SheetName and then create a subject line as:

'TEST SUBJECT LINE for "' + [FileName] + '|' + [SheetName] + '"'
When I run it from the Gallery, the subject line in the email that gets delivered only shows, the pipe(|).  TEST SUBJECT LINE for "|"

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Still haven't had any luck.  A colleague and I have been looking into this but we've kind of hit a wall.  

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @BonusCup 

Can you share how you're parsing the data for the subject? Maybe there's an issue with the parsing logic. 

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@Luke_C 

Out of the Input, the Full Path info gets created in a 'FileName' field as: 

D:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Staging\f2b011d4-0fb2-4661-8c88-38b045ccc4a0\_externals\1\Project Sample.xlsx|||`Sheet1$`

I take that into the RegEx tool with Parse as my output and use:  .+\\(.+?)\.xlsx\|\|\|(.+)

That gives me:  

filename2sheetname
Project Sample`Sheet1$`

Summarize:

Group By filename2 (renamed to [filename])

Group By [sheetname]

Formula tool:
[sheetname]

Replace(
Replace([sheetname], "$`", ""),
"`","")

+Add Column:

[subject]

'Comparison Complete for "' + [filename] + '|' + [sheetname] + '"'

Formula Output:

filenamesheetnamesubject
Project SampleSheet1CRM and STAR Comparison Complete for "Project Sample|Sheet1"

From there, I append to the data.  I've tried appending before and after the Report Text tool with no luck.

BonusCup_0-1684517080542.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @BonusCup 

Thanks for the detail. My understanding is this works fine locally? Troubleshooting on the gallery can be tricky. One thing I've had luck doing is putting temporary output tools after various tools to see the data as it flows through and have found some issues that way. Maybe that's something you can try here to help pinpoint exactly where that data is getting lost.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@Luke_C 

Yes, it works perfectly running it locally from my Designer and from Interface Designer.  I'll have to look into what you suggested.  If I find anything I'll be sure to update here.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Well, this is frustrating.  I created a simple workflow where there are 5 different subject lines.  1 each for where the [subject] is:

1. BonusCup_0-1684524226717.png

2. BonusCup_1-1684524311150.png

3. BonusCup_2-1684524341288.png

4. BonusCup_3-1684524372559.png

5. BonusCup_4-1684524417906.png

• When I use the "Full Path" option from the Input tool and run it from the Gallery, #1 from above is the only one that works. 
  • If I just copy and paste the actual FileName from the Input's results and paste that into a Text Input with the field name as 'FileName', when I run that from the Gallery all 5 subject lines work.

BonusCup_6-1684526365345.png

Labels