Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Analytic app file browse ask user for sheet name

YanishDewan
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I need to build an analytic app which asks the user for the sheet name when choosing a specific Excel file. I currently had a file browse tool connected to an action tool with configuration "update Input Data Tool". However this approach only works if the Excel file chosen contains only one worksheet. 

My current file browse configuration is set to "Arbitrary File Specification" and to only allow for .xlsx file. I understand if I were to change this to "Standard Database File Formats", the user would be prompted for worksheet name however I do not want to confuse the end user with all kind of database connections. 

How can I configure my file browse to ask user for the worksheet name using only .xlsx as accepted input? 

I have attached an example workflow to illustrate my situation. 

Any help will be much appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Hello, 

The only way to force prompt for the sheet name is to change the configuration to "Standard Database File Formats. The downside is it allows users to select things besides an Excel file.  

DrewDavis_0-1589481016563.png

MikeLR
8 - Asteroid

Just to add to this, if the input Excel file always needs to contain a specific named worksheet you can choose the "Update Value" option in the Action tool and choose to update a specific string covering the filename and path. 

MikeLR_1-1637246035552.png

MikeLR_0-1637246010829.png

dheissner
Alteryx
Alteryx

@MikeLR  when you deploy this to Alteryx Server it always prompts the user for sheet name. Is there another setting you've tried that doesn't ask the user for the sheet name and just uses 'Sheet1' for example?

mahmoodalqadi
7 - Meteor

@dheissner have you found an answer to this?

Labels