Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx workflow to retrieve Tableau workbook calculations

Bobbyt23
11 - Bolide

Hi Everyone,

I recently created a workflow to help me out of a jam. I decided it was really useful and wanted to share it with the community.

I had a problem where I corrupted a table that one of my Tableau dashboards was driven by. As a result the workbook would no longer open and I was stuck facing the sad probability I was going to have to redo all my work from scratch, creating all my calculated fields again. A colleague reminded me you can open a .twb workbook in notepad and look at the xml code. This was great but if you've ever looked at one of these files there is a lot going on in there and it's not overly obvious what to change.

This was where the idea to use Alteryx came from. I decided to automate the process and this is what I did. I built a workflow that would allow you to input a .txt file of your Tableau workbook. It would then do all the clever things Alteryx does and output all your calculated fields in an easy to use format, all written in one field. This can then be copied to wherever you want to use it.

Tableau Retriever Tool.jpg

This helped me fix my workbook quickly but I also then realised I could use this to speed up documentation of my Tableau workbook.

Would love to hear your feedback on this and let me know if this proves helpful to you.

Cheers,

Rob.

0 REPLIES 0
Labels