Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx being slow and "not responding"

jgv27
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I have been using Alteryx for almost 3 years now, and it has been such an amazing experience.

I have however been experiencing the software being slow, and giving the "not responding" message in the window title, in terms of:

- adding tools to the canvas;

- adjusting tools' configurations;

- accessing and amending setting

- moving tools around; and

- copying and pasting tools.

It is not always slow, but it has times where it just doesn't allow me to work as I should. I tried closing all other apps and windows, restarting my device and re-opening the workflows. None of this really help as if it started doing this, it seems to be consistent for a couple of days. I then finish what I'm busy with, with some frustration, and when I get back to Alteryx in a couple days, it runs better before running into the same issues.

Some additional info:

- Version: 2022.3.1.395

- Designer and Intelligence Suite Licenses

- Accessing internal and self-built macros

I don't know what else could have an impact, but let me know if you are aware of areas that could have this effect. 

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
Santino12
5 - Atom

I have the same issue with the same version, which is something I've never previously experienced in 4 years of using the product. Have you resolved it? I keep checking for updates and have also installed the patch without success. 

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

same issue for me, started about 3 days ago.  anyone have any ideas?

RichD
7 - Meteor

Same issue, but it just started happening when i upgraded to 2023.1 ..... was working fine on 2022.3... and then when i tried to rollback i am having issues with my workflows.

Kmaclean
8 - Asteroid

I've experienced this across multiple versions, don't really have a solution, but a couple of situations and half-workaround,

I do believe mapping macros (Likely from a network shared drive location) can cause this (If i work without connecting to my vpn, thus not connecting to the macros, I experience no lag, if I do connect I do experience the lag).

Also I experience this worse as my workflow gets bigger/more complex (nested macros...)

But you can disable "Auto configure" which helps but it does suck to lose this functionality, I believe auto configure will rescan the macros or something after every change in the workflow

I am having this same issue!

someguy
5 - Atom

If I disconnect from the internet, the workflow UI is a quick experience again.  

I'm not sure what they changed, but the program is horrifically slow.  I would say unusable. It should not take 35 seconds to paste a single formula tool.   

iamdata
8 - Asteroid

im suffering with slowness, yesterday i decided to go visit IT they wiped my profile, as the install we have at work actually adds to your LOCAL folder, increasing the folder size by 2.8GB.   ive now installed to a developer area i have, which horribly added ELEVATED, so canvas wasnt DRAG and DROP-ABLE.   i have now just moved that folder to a c:\nonad\  folder, and its seeming to be working without elevated.  "WIN".

but its  still really slow, not responding window, and even windows has crashed messages.     I removed the default view of SQL connections from VISUAL back to text.  This speeds up that portion, but from reading above, someone else removed some auto config on macros.   Maybe theres some logic being performed, which slows down.    i will need to find a way to make this software run lean. 

saying that i have a 13th Gen i9, 64gb ram.   Hardware isnt an issue.    

Im going to also allocate more memory to the workflow abour 40gbs

holmaj
5 - Atom

Has anyone found a fix to this? I've had it now for about a month (version 2023.2.1.7 on Windows 11). Don't know what triggered it, but can't seem to make it run like it used to. I've tried uninstalling/re-installing, rolling back to a prior version, all to no avail. Only thing that makes it more responsive is to turn off the auto-configure... but you really shouldn't have to!

SharkeyNZ
7 - Meteor

I'm having the same issue.  Any resolution from Alteryx?

Labels