Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding a new line within text field

kristinfreitas
7 - Meteor

I am importing an Excel file.  One of the columns contains a lot of text.  Some of the text has bullets.  I would like to create a new line (carriage return) whenever there is a bullet in the field.  I am then creating a table and exporting to a Word Doc with the Render tool.  How can I create a new line at each bullet?

5 REPLIES 5
markcurry
12 - Quasar

See the attached example which hopefully helps.  One way to do with would be to replace '•' with '|•', the replace the '|' with a carriage return.  The bullet point in the example might be a different character to the bullet point in the Excel file, so you may need to copy the bullet point character in Excel and replace the one in the formula tool.

kristinfreitas
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much for the help!  Using the text to columns tool caused the bullets to split into different rows on my report which I didn't want. I just want the carriage return.  So I removed that tool.  The formula tool seems to work but it is not carried through to my export and I am not sure why.  Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @kristinfreitas,

Can you include the input file?

Regards,

Jonathan

markcurry
12 - Quasar

@kristinfreitas 

It looks like the Reporting Tools don't like embedded newlines.  I've came across this solution by @patrick_digan that should do the trick for you..

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Working-with-wanted-line-breaks-and-th...

I've deleted most of the stuff out of your workflow to get it working, but see attached...

kristinfreitas
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much!

Labels