Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add unique variables in a column to the end of a dataset to form column headings

EmAnna
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

New to Alteryx, but wanting to add unique variables in a column (Brand) to the end of a dataset to form column headings. Currently I have 'duplicate' rows (aka 2 or more of the same 'Name').

Atm, my data looks like the below: 

EmAnna_0-1668700791804.png

Want it to look like this: 

EmAnna_1-1668700818288.png

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @EmAnna 

Something like this should do the job. I've just found the counts in a summarize based on name and brand (essentially just giving us a field to populate cells in the next step), then cross-tabbed so the headers are the brands, and the count is the values, then turned the nulls into 0.

JamesCharnley_0-1668701136681.png

JBLove
10 - Fireball

@EmAnna  - Try out the Cross Tab Tool.  First use a Formula tool to hardcode a 1 on each row of data and call it count.  Then use a Cross Tab Tool and group by Name and Brand, use Location for the Column Headers and Count as the value under the new Columns.  For your aggregation method use Sum.

Good luck!

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @EmAnna

Would this work for you?

afv2688_0-1668701595979.png

Regards

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@EmAnna One way of doing this

binuacs_0-1668701587517.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @EmAnna,

You could achieve this using the crosstab tool to help create the analysis:

JonathanSherman_0-1668701639475.png

EmAnna
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks all for the above - solved!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels