Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

Dynamically filling blanc columns in a table

Charl
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

Can someone pls help with the below which I am trying to solve in Alteryx.

The below/attached show a simple hierarchy structure with nodes 1 to 5 and a node owner next to each node.

Whenever a owner is blanc (yellow highlighted), it need to revert to the owner of the previous node - eg. in row 2, all the node owner cells  should reflect Nadal and in row4, cells H4 and J4s should reflect Casper as the node owner.

The blue highlighted cells resemble the 'anchor' cells or first time a node owner is captured and whenever the subsequent lower nodes  to the anchor node is does not have a node owner (ie empty), it needs to be filled with the anchor node owner.

Charl_0-1652869573525.png

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

How does this look @Charl? Workbook is attached. Let me know if not and I can take another look!

DataNath_1-1652872588046.png

If you want to clean up the underscores in the 'Node' fields then you can use a dynamic rename as shown. However, you can't have duplicate column names and so the 'Owner' will go up incrementally using this method:

DataNath_0-1652872571157.png

Charl
6 - Meteoroid

Hi DataNath,

Thank you, I appreciate your help! This works perfectly! 

PS: I assume there isn't a similar fill function to fill across columns, thus one has to use the transpose, fill rows, and cross tab to put back into table format.

Rgds

Charl

DataNath
17 - Castor

Awesome, no problem at all @Charl! Feel free to mark the solution, or let me know if you need anything else for this!

As far as I'm aware, unfortunately not. It's certainly something I'd love to see myself though so maybe worth placing in https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Ideas/ct-p/ayx-ideas.

Cheers!