Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

vlookup (Join Function )

gavinloi_
7 - Meteor

Hi all, can I check to do a vlookup between 2 input files in alteryx, I have used a Join function however it seems like I am not getting the desired output. e.g. file A has 12 lines while File B has 25 lines, the expected output that I am expecting would be the 12 lines from file A however it seems like the output has slightly more than 12 lines when i use the "J" in the Join function. Is there a way to get the 12 lines output from excel A ?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
K_Vinogradov
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @gavinloi_!

The issue you're experiencing most likely has to do with duplicate values in the joining columns in either dataset.

For example, if you're joining both datasets on column "Employee ID", and employee ID "123" appears once in dataset A, but twice in dataset B, you would get two rows for this employee ID from the J output, hence the additional rows.

Make sure that there are no duplicate values in dataset B, or add additional columns for joining to ensure that you capture only the required data.

Additionally, it may be easier to use the "Find Replace" tool if you're looking to do vlookup. Look out for duplicates though, if they are still present in the data, Find Replace tool is going to pick up the last match!

gavinloi_
7 - Meteor

thank you! that works after I removed duplicates from file B. 

Labels