The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

In-DB Connection

When I setup an In-DB connection I need a way to select only the tables I want to see. Basically a way to favorite the most frequenently used tables and also the ability to add a description of the information that resides in that table. Use Case: Because we have so many irrelevant tables with no data dictionary in some of our databases this would save a ton of time to narrow down the tables I can select right off the bat.

3 Comments
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There are two ways you can currently get some of the functionality you are looking for.  

First, and available in current releases, we are now caching the specific table names we find in the database under your user settings folder.  If you do not want to get into building macros, you can go into C:UsersuserAppDataRoamingAlteryxVQBCache and find txt files that contain the specific tables found in the database.  Each text file represents a specific connection string being used within the input tool.  You can delete lines out of the text file and they will be removed from the query builder.

Second, you can create an "Input Macro" that encapsulates a connection into a specific database table.  At its simplest, you create a macro with the input tool configured for the database connection and table with a Macro Output tool.  Once you create this macro, the user will have no configuration for that tool when using it in a module.  You could create a different macro for each of the common tables users access the most.  Additionally, you can add username and password fields for a specific user to enter their credentials.  Maybe a little more advanced, you could create this input macro with a list of just the specific tables you want the user to pick from.  This ability is currently available for regular db connections and our next release introduces the ability to do the same thing for In-DB connections.

Thanks,

Ben

jjones2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Ben,

I have to admit that your ideas got me thinking. We have a database table that logs when the most commonly used tables are updated so I took the names of the tables from there to formulate the SELECT * string and created the macro as suggested. Great idea!

easyselect.png

easyselect_config.png

I couldn't resist creating the icon too ;-)

easyselect_icon.png

Thanks again I can't tell you how much easier this makes things!

Justin

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!