Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting Points on Map and Output a List

pchong
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I am exploring Spatial tools in Alteryx and need some help.

I have coordinates of some locations, but would like to manually select some points to output the selected coordinates as a list.

For example, I selected the red rectangular area below. How do I extract the coordinates here?

pchong_0-1681307285092.png

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advanced!

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pchong 

When you select those points, the records selected should be highlighted in the results window. You can then use the Results window functions to save or copy those selected records only.

20230412-SpatialSelect1.png

20230412-SpatialSelect2.png

This method works for any data in the workflow. If you've got a yxdb of points saved, then you could use a Map Input tool in "select mode". 

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/map-input-tool

Is this the functionality you were looking for? Let us know and the Community will help!

pchong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CharlieS ,

This might be it!

But the only option there is to export it as a yxdb.

Is there other way to continue working in the same workflow without another data input? 

(or the option to output it as other file format let's say xlsx or csv, without having to do a Input Data -> Output Data)

Thank you.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you go to save the file and the window opens, you should have a dropdown to select another file type. yxdb is the default, but there are many other options. You'll just need to be mindful of the spatial objects as they will not save correctly in file formats that do not support them (like Excel). 

20230412-SpatialSelect3.png

Is there a specific file format you're looking to use that isn't working?

pchong
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @CharlieS 

Another question, looks like rectangle is the only shape to select.

Is there a way I can select the points on the map in other shapes? like round, oval etc.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Rectangle is the only shape for that selection, yes. Alternatively, you could Ctrl+click and manually select multiple points.

Another way to come at this would be to free draw a polygon in the Map Input tool and use that in a Spatial Match. The downside is that you wouldn't be able to see the points when you were drawing the polygon, unless you save the points off as a yxdb ahead of time and load them into the Map Input tool before you draw.

pchong
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot @CharlieS , I did a few tests and they worked as expected.

Have a great day!

Labels