Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #388: Meteorite Impact Sites

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

WC_Banner_V2.png

Hi Maveryx,

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

This challenge comes to us from @AkimasaKajitani . Thank you for your contribution, Aki!

mother-5596502_1280.jpgMeteorite showers are a captivating natural phenomenon, though it can be challenging to see them depending on your location. Fortunately, residents and visitors in the Las Vegas area enjoy an advantageous position, being in proximity to expansive desert skies that offer excellent conditions for meteorite watching.

For this challenge, your mission is to plan a budget-friendly meteorite impact site tour near Las Vegas, ensuring enthusiasts visit locations where they have the best opportunity to witness this celestial spectacle.

Here are the tasks you must complete. Calculate all distances in kilometers.

1. Find a meteorite impact site that is closest to a hotel that costs less than $200 per night. Designate this location as the "First Stop."
  2. Identify the nearest meteorite impact site in relation to the First Stop. Label this site as the "Second Stop" and determine the distance between the first and second stops.
  3. Locate the nearest meteorite impact site in relation to the Second Stop. Name this site “Third Stop” and determine the distance between the second and third stops.
  4. Calculate the total distance traveled from the hotel to the third stop.

Data Summary:

You have two datasets. The text dataset contains the latitude and longitude of some hotels in Las Vegas with their cost per night. The second dataset, meteorite-landings.csv, contains the latitude and longitude of over 45,000 meteorites that have struck our planet.

Source: https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/nasa/meteorite-landings

benjimoser
9 - Comet

My first Solution:

Spoiler

Screenshot 2023-09-11 112920.png  

My Solution using an iterative Macro which calculates the next 100 locations to visit:

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-09-11 183127.png
---------------------------
Screenshot 2023-09-11 183207.png

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

Not too bad

Spoiler
Workflow_388.PNG

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler

Great challenge, @AkimasaKajitani 

image.png

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Nice quick spatial challenge

Spoiler
image.png
I did want to use miles over KM though!
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution! I also add a map solution!!

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-09-12 002902.png

@Kenda Thanks!!

Map

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-09-12 003201.png

When I see the Map of Las Vegas, I remember my awesome experience at Inspire 2023 and it makes me feel nostalgic.

nhardin
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Screenshot_solution_388.png
ahsanaali
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-09-11 192243.png

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Love the Spatial tools!