Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

2018.1 Issues

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

I have tried on two different occasions this week to use version 2018.1, but its performance has not been great. 

This most recent attempt, I installed only Designer, no predictive tools, to see if that would help, and it did not.  From the time I double-click the icon to open Alteryx, to the time it's actually usable, is just over 4 minutes, whereas it used to open in a matter of seconds.  Once it's launched, there's a delay in running workflows (I click run, and it's about 10-15 seconds later that it actually starts processing), and once the workflow has finished, I can see in the worklog that the workflow finished in 0.9 seconds, but it's about a minute after that when the window pops up to inform me the workflow has completed, and I can't interact with anything until that window appears.  When I'm building flows, dropping tools onto the canvas and whatnot, that all seems to run smooth as ever.

I checked the system requirements for the new version, and it's recommending 8GB RAM minimum (which I have), and a quad-core chip (unfortunately, I have dual-core).  I can't see anything in the release notes that makes me think my setup, which ran Alteryx just fine prior to this update, would now struggle to run it, though I may be mistaken.  It's not like I'm running an ancient set up here, though.  Has the engine really changed enough that a dual-core processor is going to severely hamper my performance?

I had a co-worker try as well, and his results were about the same.  Are we going to miss out on updates now unless we can convince our IT peeps to get us new RAM and Processors, or is there something we're overlooking here?  Any thoughts or insight are much appreciated!

18 REPLIES 18
Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

Were you on 11.8 before?  I had missed that update entirely, so I'm still running 11.7.  I didn't even try 11.8, I just went right back to what I knew would work.  But it sounds like, in my case anyway, there's an issue with Designer not being able to communicate to the Alteryx Licensing site when it's loading, which causes it to be all wonky.  At least that's the vibe I got from when I was working with support, but I think that's what they're working on verifying.  So even 11.8, since it's using the new license platform, would probably not work well if you're in a similar situation.

Short version - Try going back to 11.7.  :)

RCurry1230
7 - Meteor

YOU WERE RIGHT! Thank you for saving me! I was about to throw my computer out of the window!

saubert
9 - Comet

I contacted the support for the same issues, waiting for an answer.

Did you solved it? On mon own computer, I don't have this issue... but my costumers get it.

RCurry1230
7 - Meteor

It took a a day or so after some back and forth questions, but they were very responsive. They're very responsive and are working with my IT department now, because it wasn't a certificate error. Have you seen this:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Licensing-Error-Your-computer-is-unable-to-a...

Maybe this will help? 

But I downgraded back to 11.7 for now. 

saubert
9 - Comet

Thanks !

2018.1 is still in test for us so we don't have to rollback but I will anticipate the licensing issue.

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

Just to reiterate, if anyone is experiencing 2018.1 issues please kindly shoot us an email at support@alteryx.com so we can get a case created and work with you to troubleshoot/ make recommendations.

Thanks for posting,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you all for reporting and collaborating through the community on this issue. I wanted to let you know that we have a fix that will be part of an upcoming stable update estimated to be released within the next 2 weeks.  

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

I downloaded and installed the new release yesterday, and so far, so good!  Huge difference from before, I can actually do my work now!

RCurry1230
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the update! I was kind of nervous to go through it again :)

Labels