Right now, the power to solve new global challenges across industries, is at your fingertips, no matter where you're working from. Create a new topic or reply to an existing thread to share your perspective.

Industry Discussions

Share resources, connect with others, and discuss industry-specific challenges.
SOLVED

Tax From a Technologist's Point of View

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi All --

I love the industry discussion and feel they provide some great value as it helps you translate your Alteryx learning with real-world examples (best way to learn). I see some Tax-related posts that might come from either a Tax person or a Tax person who has moved into technology -- otherwise, known as a Tax Technology - it's a real thing, there even is a whole conference dedicated to it.

If I go under the assumption that many of the Tax people in the Tax & Audit Industry discussion are more tax-focused or tax people who moved into technology; would anyone be interested in hearing some ideas from a technology person who has worked in a corporate tax department for over 10 years? My thinking is that some users who did not grow up on the technical side of the house might not know some avenues you can go down in streamlining and automating using Alteryx.

I might be able to provide some insight from the other side of the house. While my experience and discussion will most likely relate to Tax people, they could translate to other industries as well.

Let me know your thoughts! 🙂

Thanks,

Seth

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @smoskowitz,

Thank you for sharing, it's great to hear this discussions area has been very helpful!

I think this would be an awesome conversation to start up. @alyon @Marie_Hibbert @fosterking what would you all thing of doing some sort of panel or fire side chat discussion on this topic?

Chris Shernaman | Alteryx User Group Coordinator

cshernaman@alteryx.com | @ChrisS 

Chris Shernaman
Community Manager
ck2019
9 - Comet

Following!

I've unofficiailly transitioned into more of a technology role helping the tax team to streamline and improve existing processess, using Alteryx where possible (but it does have some limitations).

Keen to here about your experiences, and learn!

HeatherMHarris
11 - Bolide

@ChrisS 

Definitely stay tuned in this Industry Forum! @smoskowitz is scheduled to share his tax technology wisdom with us in an upcoming "Alteryx Innovators in Industry" segment!

This topic would also make a great panel fireside chat!

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

@smoskowitz 

Would be happy to listen! I work in Tax!

Sincerely,

J

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @jacob_kahn , @HeatherMHarris , @ck2019 , @ChrisS --

What kinds of things would interest you around this topic? If you reply with some ideas (or PM me) I will look into putting something together. Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Seth

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

I would be interested in use cases that move start with raw data and move to return preparation/filing?

As well, engagement control - when certain activities are finished and uploaded, who is notified, etc. Like a PushBot.

Thanks @smoskowitz 

J

ck2019
9 - Comet

Hey - Interested in ways that you have used Alteryx to sovle some of the commont tasks that teams have to do, reconciliations, tax allowable/disallowable calculations, share returns, all things compliance related - basically I'll as be a sponge and soak up anything you share!

Thanks

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi Everyone!

This is all great, thank you! @ChrisS and I are throwing around some ideas that the Tax world might find useful. I want to put something together on the types of things I have helped my company do better. My perspective will be more from the IT side as someone who has sat with Tax for over a decade.

In my experience, many Tax Technologists are Tax people who moved over to the technology side of the house.  I run the opposite way! I am a born and bred tech guy who found his home in the corporate tax department. I live, breathe, and love technology. 

I currently am probably the most proficient in Alteryx in my dept/company, but can also see opportunities that maybe someone coming from the tax side might night see as clearly. I want to explore that al little more and would love more feedback. 

As a for instance - Tax is happy with the systems we have, and that they can generate reports. Many of these reports are exported and different things are done with them. Some might actually be inputs into Alteryx,

I worked with Tax to take these reports and created API's out of them. I took the API's and turned them into Standard Macros. Now, if people need t process this information, they just drop in the macro and use the data from the database -- Right in Alteryx!!  Say whaaaaaaaaaat??!?!?!?!? These are the types of efficient gains I am looking to exploit!

What do you have to talk to me about!

Thanks,

Seth

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

@smoskowitz THAT DOES SOUND PRETTY AWESOME!

WOULD DEF APPRECIATE THAT!