community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev Space

Customize & extend the power of Alteryx. SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more!
Alteryx Gallery is experiencing a problem in which system emails are not being sent out. As a result, if you are attempting to sign up for a new account, you may be unable to verify your email address. We are working to solve this as soon as possible and will remove this notice once resolved.
SOLVED

SnakePlane suggestion: Add get_constant to 'logger' or generic 'alteryx_engine' namespace

Comet

While working on a recent tool using SnakePlane, I needed a temp directory for files. While I ended up using the Python tempfile package instead, I tried finding the TempFilePath workflow constant at one point.

It appears that the alteryx_engine inside AyxPlugin is hidden from the 'pilot', and as such, the output_message method is only exposed to the 'pilot' through the logger. So to get access to get_constant method, I added it temporarily to the self.logging SimpleNamespace following the pattern, and was able to use the following in Pdb:

(Pdb) logger.get_constant(0)
('Engine.GuiInteraction', '', '0', False)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(1)
('Engine.IterationNumber', '', '0', True)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(2)
('Engine.ModuleDirectory', '', 'C:\\Users\\<user>\\Documents\\~Alteryx\\snakeplane-master\\pilot\\debug_workflows\\', False)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(3)
('Engine.TempFilePath', '', 'C:\\Users\\<user>\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\Engine_7016_d592e2b9ab1c4a87b2c08afb64a01e81_\\', False)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(4)
('Engine.Version', '', '2019.2.5.62427', False)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(5)
('Engine.WorkflowDirectory', '', 'C:\\Users\\<user>\\Documents\\~Alteryx\\snakeplane-master\\pilot\\debug_workflows\\', False)
(Pdb) logger.get_constant(6)
('Engine.WorkflowFileName', '', './debug_workflows/SFTPInput.yxmd', False)

Does alteryx_engine need to be hidden in this fashion? If so, can we add some more features of the engine to either the logger, or a new SimpleNamespace? When I check dir(sdk.AlteryxEngine) I see the following methods that could be valuable to 'pilot':

[..., 'create_connect_metadata', 'create_temp_file_name', 'debug_message_out', 'decrypt_password', 'field_conversion_error_limit', 'get_constant', 'get_init_var', 'output_message', 'output_tool_progress', 'pre_sort', 'xmsg']

Several of these look indispensable!

The change to helper_classes for get_constant was simple enough:

get_constant=partial(
                self._engine_vars.alteryx_engine.get_constant,
                self._engine_vars.n_tool_id,
            ),

If I can figure out how to submit a pull request on github ... I'll try it out.

Hi @c2willis - can you post this as an issue in the snakeplane GitHub repo? It will get more traction with the team who manages it. Thanks! 

Comet

Done!