Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Python SDK: "You have found a bug. Replicate, then let us know."`

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I am working on putting a GUI on top of @Nick612Haylund's Glassdoor scraper.  When I run it, I get an error that I have found a bug:

SNAG-0005.png

Attached is the YXI with the code.  Thoughts?  Am I missing a step in the AyxPlugin or IncomingInterface classes?

3 REPLIES 3
tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Well, I definitely missed something.  I wrote a bad loop in Python that was not filling in all of the fields in the Reviews output.

This is the original code:

def pushReviews(self, result: ScrapeResults):
        for review in result.reviews:
            self.ReviewsCreator.reset()
            self.ReviewFields[0].set_from_string(self.ReviewsCreator, result.GlassdoorId)

i: int = 0
            while i < len(result.reviews):
                self.ReviewFields[i+1].set_from_string(self.ReviewsCreator, review[i])
                i = i + 1

self.parent.alteryx_engine.output_message(self.parent.n_tool_id, Sdk.EngineMessageType.info, str(i) + " review fields set.  Rescord outputted")
            output = self.ReviewsCreator.finalize_record()
            self.parent.Reviews.push_record(output)

and this is the working code:

while i < len(review):
                i = i + 1

Pretty much the same, but if you look at the while loop in the middle, you will notice a change.  This is the section that sets values in individual fields, but I was originally looping through the number of reviews rather than the number of fields in the review.  I was limiting the import to 1 page (9 reviews) and have 16 fields in the output, so the last 7 fields were not getting values.  Alteryx doesn't seem to like it when fields do not have a value and responded with the bug message.

EDIT:

I am attaching an updated YXI and a tester workflow for posterity.

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I thought I posted a reply here...

Anyway, it turns out the bug was an error in one of my loops.  This is the method that was causing the issue; the while loop in the middle was the culprit:

while i < len(result.reviews):
			i = i + 1

self.parent.alteryx_engine.output_message(self.parent.n_tool_id, Sdk.EngineMessageType.info, str(i) + " review fields set.  Rescord outputted")

And this is the corrected method:

while i < len(review):
			i = i + 1

What was happening was, rather than loop through the fields in each review, the while loop was looping through the the number of reviews.  I was limiting the number of pages to 1, so the while loop was iterating 9 times, but there are 16 fields in the Reviews output.  This means the last 7 fields were not getting a value.  Alteryx seems to dislike this and was throwing the error as a result.

Attached is a YXI with corrected logic and a test workflow.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

How did you debug the problem?  I am knocking up a tool and it does very little at moment, but I am getting this error and can get no diagnostics about what is wrong.