2022.1.1.30569 Patch Release Update

The 2022.1.1.30569 Patch/Minor release has been removed from the Download Portal due to a missing signature in some of the included files. This causes the files to not be recognized as valid files provided by Alteryx and might trigger warning messages by some 3rd party programs. If you installed the 2022.1.1.30569 release, we recommend that you reinstall the patch.

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Creating a tool with SDK

dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello Guys!

I'm new into develop tools with the SDK, I was studying that with this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZfIbWnyoQ

I watched it all, so I wanted to create one by myself, using this API (It's a simple API, I know that I can just create a macro, but I want to create this with the SDK): https://api.nasa.gov/ 

I followed all the tutorial, read the documentation and tried to do the file attached, but I don't execute, I don't know why, can someone help me with this ? 

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide

Hey @dougperez, great to see another SDK user! I am the guy who @Nick612Haylund interviewed in that video you posted.

In short, I was able to get your tool working:

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 7.55.13 PM.png

Here are the things I had to change:

• You have coded your tool as a pass-through tool, but you have configured it as an input tool because you did not provide any input connection. In NasaConfig.xml, I changed the GuiSettings tag to look like this:
<GuiSettings Html="Nasa.html" Icon="nasa.png" Help="" SDKVersion="10.1">

<InputConnections>

<Connection Name="Input" AllowMultiple="False" Optional="False" Type="Connection" Label=""/>

</InputConnections>

<OutputConnections>

<Connection Name="Output" AllowMultiple="False" Optional="False" Type="Connection" Label=""/>

</OutputConnections>

</GuiSettings>

• In line 69 of Nasa.py, I had to fix the definition of the 'json' field. 'str' is not a valid field type. I used v_string with a size of 100000:
self.resultJson = self.OutInfo.add_field('json', Sdk.FieldType.v_string, size=100000, source=self.parent.label)
  • In line 84 I changed the way the at variable is calculated. I just assumed a string input field, so no need to do the date time conversions. This is kind of lazy, so your way is probably better. I couldn't get the date-time formatting to work quickly, so I went with something simple just to get the tool working:
at = self.DateField.get_as_string(in_record)
  • Finally, in line 90 I had to make sure I was setting the json field from the 'text' property of the response, not the response itself:
self.resultJson.set_from_string(self.Creator, response.text)

The first bullet point about the config file was the most critical; the rest are simple syntax errors. If you want to create a pass-through tool (which uses the IncomingInterface class) then you need to define at least 1 incoming connection. If you want to create an input tool (which has 0 incoming connections), then all of the record processing has to happen in pi_push_all_records.

Hope this helps!

dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello @tlarsen7572, good to see the stars coming to help me (just joking hahahaha) 

So, I found out how to create a Input tool , thanks to show me how to create a pass-through tool.

I have other question, do you guys have another video showing the new platform SDK? I was told that the old don't have alteryx support anymore...

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide

Always happy to help someone interested in the SDKs!

Short answer to your question: no.

Long answer:

The docs do a good job of introducing the new SDKs (https://help.alteryx.com/developer-help/platform-sdk). I'd start there and ask questions in the Community. I have played with the new SDK a bit, but am not too familiar with it. It's not because there is anything wrong with the new SDK. I actually quite like the new APIs. It's mainly because I created my own SDK for the Go programming language (I modelled the design after the platform SDK). I much prefer coding with Go rather than Python, so most of my custom tools now are Go-built tools.