How To : Safely change the Global Workspace of an Alteryx Server
The Global Workspace is a path used as the base for configuration options that determine where temporary files, log files, and database files are stored.
Sub-folders for the specific items can be created to use the global workspace or can be customized later to write to a different location. This path should point to a location that is safe to store large amounts of files.
Server admins wanting to change it to to a different location can use this resource to safely perform this change.
- Product - Alteryx Server
- All permissions on the future Global Workspace
- Backup your Alteryx Server (procedure outlined here)
- Alongside the backup of done in the previous step, keep a copy of the below elements:
- RuntimeSettings.xml (this file can be found in %ProgramData%/Alteryx/)
- Controller Token (can be copied into a text file from the Alteryx System Settings > General)
- Stop the Alteryx Service
- Open the Alteryx System Settings ans navigate toEnvironment > Workspace
- Change the Global Workspace to the desired directory :
- Navigate through each screen of the Alteryx System Settings to confirm that:
- The paths of the sub-directories include the new Global Workspace's root path
- The other settings remain unchanged
- Do not hit hit "Finish"on the last screen of the Alteryx System Settings:
- But instead copy the below folders from the previous Global Workspace to the new Global workspace:
- After the copy, you can hit "Finish" to apply the changes and start the Alteryx Service
- Log into the Gallery Admin and validate that every elements are available (users, workflows, schedules...)
- If the validation is confirmed, remove the below folders from the previous Global Workspace:
As always, don't hesitate to contact us over atCustomer Supportif you run into any trouble.