Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

workflow on scheduler using batch files given errors

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

I have an workflow which run's an number of batch files, but as soon as i put the workflow on a scheduler it displaying the following error message

The external program "xxxxx\JS_Copy.bat" returned an error code: 1

Any advise on how I can run the workflow with out getting this error message and on a scheduler? Do I have to run the batch Marco each time or can it be done only once?

Any advise would be great

9 REPLIES 9
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AndrewCrayford 

The error normally suggests a problem within the batch script. If this runs as expected from the Designer and only throws the error when run on a schedule, I'm wondering whether this could be an access issue.

Is the batch script referencing a file/directory on your local computer? Do you have a run as user configured on your scheduler? If not, do you want to try configuring this as your user?

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

The batch marco was run a couple of weeks back,I ran a test manual the other week and it was working correctly. 

The batch script is on the network which the Alteryx server has access to.

The batch is to only to rename the file and all the information is in the workflow.

I ran it not on scheduler and got the error, but as soon as i re ran the batch marco it works. Does it mean i have to run the batch marco each time I ran the workflow.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AndrewCrayford 

Where is the batch script executed from? From within the batch macro? Outside of it? Via Events?

Would you be able to share the workflow and the script? 

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

The batch marco workflow will place a .bat file onto the network and this is outside of the main workflow which is on the scheduler.

There is one scrpipt to copy the file and place it into a folder.

The next one rename the file by putting the date at the end of the file.

The Alteryx server does has access to the network.

I not sure if i able to share the workflow. 

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

When referencing the file path, are you using UNC path?

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

When we called the batch file we are using the full file path.

clipboard_image_0.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

How about the output? You are referencing a D drive there. Is this directory on the server?

Also, do you use UNC paths when referencing the file you want to rename within the .bat file?

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

😧 drive is the local file for the server.

The output in the workflow has the full file path,

I ran the effect batch marco workflow by it selt and then ran the main workflow which is on the server and it works. 

Do i have to include the batch marco workflow as part of the workflow that is on the Alteryx server? or do you run it once and that it? 

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Just to clarify, you're talking about two workflows here? What is the dependency between them?