Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

The semaphore timeout period has expired. (121)

Brian_Stoffel
8 - Asteroid

We have a workflow that pulls data from our database, does some work, and then writes to another database/text files. This workflow is scheduled on Alteryx Gallery to run daily at 1am. 

The text files are small with 5-15 rows of data. The files are duplicative, meaning the file written to folder 1 is the same as the file written to folder 2.

We received the following error with writing one of the text files but everything else ran as expected in the workflow.

"The semaphore timeout period has expired. (121)"

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? There are some similar responses to check the network connections, but I don't think that applies for workflows scheduled on Alteryx Gallery. 

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelAd
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Brian_Stoffel,

Thanks for writing on Community.

Does the same issue occur when running the workflow on Designer on the Server?

Does it run fine from a client Designer?

As the workflow connects to a Database Server this could well be network related or other database connection issue.

The DBA might be able to help, but this could be also something to look into together with Support.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Adler
Sr. Customer Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.

Brian_Stoffel
8 - Asteroid

Does the same issue occur when running the workflow on Designer on the Server?

- No.

Does it run fine from a client Designer?

- Yes.

This issue hasn't repeated in the last few weeks, so I'll considered the issue closed for now.

In doing a bit of research, it seems that this error is a generic network error. I was thinking that Alteryx had an error lookup table. For example, for error 121 (Semaphore timeout), then check x, y, or z type connections.