Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Run Command - Excel Macro from Server

claireburnip
5 - Atom

Hi,

so I have a number of workflows that writes to excel, within the excel docs there's formatting to make a nice report and then I would save to PDF and send out.

I want to remove all manual effort and use the run command to kick off an excel macro which updates the data and saves a PDF report. I have created a run command following the example in the below link and all works great on my desk top however when I save this to my gallery and run on the server, Alteryx updates the excel but then hangs.

We have also wrote a powershell script to do the same with an error log that reads:

PS>TerminatingError(New-Object): "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))."

Would excel need to be installed on the server machine to enable this workflow to complete or am I missing something else?

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2020/04/14/triggering-excel-macros-from-the-comfort-of-your-alte...

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @claireburnip 

Yes, you'd need Excel installed on your server in order for the Run Command to be able to execute the VB script.

HenryGD
5 - Atom

Have you found a solution yet? I am running into the same issue for a similar process. The Excel macro runs from designer, but it does not work from my gallery or via the Scheduler.