Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Recurring workflow not triggering

dineshp
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have one Primary workflow which is scheduled to run in gallery every hour which read a spreadsheet where i am maintaining a schedule of all my workflows. Depending on day and time, if condition is true then workflow is picked up and executed. I am using Crew List runner. 

But some workflow takes 3-4hrs and some less than hours. My recurring hourly workflow is not getting triggered since previous workflow is running. 

I want my workflow to run irrespective of whether the previous workflow is still running or not. I'm not sure if this is a behaviour of Alteryx or Crew. Any advise? @MarqueeCrew

The screenshot will show that my recurring on 2am,3am,4am did not get triggered because 1am workflow got completed only at 4:39am. 

dineshp_0-1571974268302.png

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

hi @dineshp ,

to my mind, this is more linked to your alteryx server and the number of workflows it can run at the same time. Our server is set up to run maximum 2 workflows at a time, you may try to add some maximum workflows to your maximum, but it depends on the licence you have and the machine you have your server on. You may be able to try something also with the priorities, setting this reccuring workflow on important priority and letting the others on a secondary priority.

Hope it helped

dineshp
8 - Asteroid

@Ladarthure 

Thanks for your comments. My server is set to run 4 workflows. If i am running 4 different workflow then i have no problem. This problem is when a recurring workflow is still running and the successive workflow is not getting triggered unless the running workflow gets completed.

Any thoughts on this?

@DanM 

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@dineshp, It may be what your workflow is doing. If the initial workflow is say hitting a database or file, the workflow may not trigger due to confusion of it trying to hit something that is in use. That is why 4 different workflows work. You could run a test and just use Text Input tools in a workflow instead of reaching out to any data and attempt to schedule them like you have to see if they both run as you want. That will tell you if the connection to the data is the problem. If the Text Input tool version doesn't run like you want. Please reach out to Support for help. If the data connection is the issue, at this time we don't have a work around for this behavior.

DanM

dineshp
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DanM 

Thanks for your suggestion. But it not solve the problem. The next recurring workflow did not get triggered or go into queue because it's preceding workflow is still running. Is this the behavior of alteryx? can this be changed?

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@dineshp This shouldn't be the behavior. Please reach out to Alteryx Support for assistance.

dineshp
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Dan_dup_77 . I have now raised this issue with Support.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @dineshp,

I would recommend looking at the Gallery API. This should allow you to kick off the second Workflow upon completion of the first, rather than trying to synchronize with timing.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer