Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Reading data from shared folder in gallery

lkpkevin
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to read data files from a shared folder in gallery application. Using File Browse tool is one solution. But the uploading process is slow as we have a few data files and some of them are big. So we are thinking to upload input files in a shared folder and read them from there. While it is an easy tasks in the desktop application, I could not find a solution for gallery application. Using the input data tool seems to upload the data files to the server. So when you run the application in the gallery, instead of reading the data from the shared folder, it seems to run based on the files uploaded. Could anyone share what's the best practice to read in large data files in gallery? Thanks for your input.

2 REPLIES 2
lkpkevin
5 - Atom

It turns out that you can solve this issue by using the input data tool and setting workflow dependencies in advanced options before saving to the Gallery. In that case, the application will read the data files from the shared folder when it runs.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @lkpkevin,

I'll add to this, that when using file structures on the Gallery, it is always best to use full UNC strings, as then if multiple workers are used on the server, then it doesn't matter which worker it will be processed on, the file structure will always point back to the defined file structure.

Kane