Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Private Studios Workflow Migration

riyachawla
5 - Atom

I am not sure if this is common knowledge but I came across something really interesting at work the other day and wanted to share.

For a while now, we have faced this problem where when an alteryx user leaves the company, all their work is saved in their private studio and is very difficult to change/transfer over. I might have found a method to migrate all the workflows from someone's private studio to yours. 

So, as an admin, go into the server -> users -> search your name and copy your 'Private Studio Key'

Now look up the person whose studio you want to take over, say Mary Poppins. Paste YOUR private studio key where Mary's private studio key is and hit save. (Don't forget to save Mary's private studio key in the notepad or somewhere else for later)

Wait a couple of minutes/refresh the web page and look up for Mary Poppins again. Paste Mary Poppins private studio key that you saved earlier back where it was and hit save. 

Refresh the page and you will have all of Mary Poppins workflows in your own private studio!

I hope this was helpful and I made some sense. 

I know for a fact that this was not how this used to work before, maybe this is a new update or a mistake haha :p

Messing around with private studio keys can cause a lot of problems as well so try this at your own risk!!!!

1 REPLY 1
alenmick
5 - Atom

@riyachawlapolyclinic wrote:

I am not sure if this is common knowledge but I came across something really interesting at work the other day and wanted to share.

For a while now, we have faced this problem where when an alteryx user leaves the company, all their work is saved in their private studio and is very difficult to change/transfer over. I might have found a method to migrate all the workflows from someone's private studio to yours. 

So, as an admin, go into the server -> users -> search your name and copy your 'Private Studio Key'

Now look up the person whose studio you want to take over, say Mary Poppins. Paste YOUR private studio key where Mary's private studio key is and hit save. (Don't forget to save Mary's private studio key in the notepad or somewhere else for later)

Wait a couple of minutes/refresh the web page and look up for Mary Poppins again. Paste Mary Poppins private studio key that you saved earlier back where it was and hit save. 

Refresh the page and you will have all of Mary Poppins workflows in your own private studio!

I hope this was helpful and I made some sense. 

I know for a fact that this was not how this used to work before, maybe this is a new update or a mistake haha :p

Messing around with private studio keys can cause a lot of problems as well so try this at your own risk!!!!

Thanks for sharing this method! It’s a clever workaround for migrating workflows without too much hassle. I'll definitely keep this in mind if I ever need to transfer work from a colleague's private studio. Just a reminder to everyone—always be cautious when altering keys and ensure you have backups to avoid any issues. Great tip!