Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Download Output which is an overwritten excel file after running workflow in Gallery

thuyduongnguyen
7 - Meteor

Hi, I created an App which users can choose their files as input.

Then the output is an overwritten excel file which is a template I created and put in my company network drive.

After running the workflow on Gallery, although it said "This workflow produced no output", the output is actually already overwitten by new data. (I open the file from the network drive to check).

What I want is Gallery can promt a button for user to download this output from the Gallery.

I read my previous post and know that there are alternative solution:

- using Table and Render tool (but it will lost all my complex conditional formating in the template excel file which Render couldn't do)

- saving as .yxdb file (still does not match my need for an overwritten excel file as output)

thuyduongnguyen_0-1617880283569.png

thuyduongnguyen_1-1617880435157.png

Anyone has a concrete solution for this? 

Thank you very much in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@thuyduongnguyen 

You could have the file be emailed to the user. At the end of the workflow add a Block Until Done tool. Have the first output connection write the file and then use the second output connection send the email. You can then add a Interface Text Input tool and have it update the To: email address in the tool.

Email Tool

You could also display the location of the file using the reporting tools as an output that would display for the user. They could then copy and paste that location into their file browser and get to the file.

Dan

Joe_Churchill
5 - Atom

is there an option to let the user download the output file in the browser? or is email the only method?