Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Data connection collaboration

rnayan
7 - Meteor

Hi Experts,

I have some doubts about connection collaboration between alteryx server and desktop application.

I am listing my doubt as list of questions:

1- I have setup my db connection on my desktop for which the DSN is in sync with server. So when i push the workflow to gallery it runs fine. Now question is, when i run it the workflow on server, will it use credentials from server or  will it use my connection?

2- Any new user who does not know what is the DSN name on server how would they publish the workflow on gallery? Since this will throw an error. 

3- Is there a way a user can take the connection hosted directly at server and do not setup any connection on their system. Also, when user take the connection from server, they should provide their own credential to run it on their desktop application? And when you push the workflow to server it uses the server credential to hit the database.

4- Similar question for inbuilt connector like Hadoop, Amazon s3. When i publish the workflow to server any user can go and run it but use their own credentials (something like a popup box should come to provide credential)

Appreciate if you could answer my queries.

1 REPLY 1
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@rnayan,

Have you read this KB article titled, Alteryx Server Knowledge Base: How Workflow Credentials Work on a Private Gallery?  In it the explanation of how you control the credentials used are explained with the options to share an ID or use the ID of the executing group or individual.

As for DSN names, there is a KB article titled, Alteryx Knowledge Base: Database Connections Creating an alias and the advantages of that is worth a read.  In it you can see a "Connection String Summary".  This is actually a DSN_Less connection string (see also:  https://www.connectionstrings.com/ with lots of help) that is my preferred way of distributing connections.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.  What is more important than the string (in my opinion) is that the connection software (DRIVER) is actually loaded onto each workstation.

I think that your questions are addressed in these documents.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.