Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Connect In-DB vs Input Data in Alteryx Server

DrydenChicago
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

While in Alteryx designer, I find that it's very flexible and quicker to use the "Connect In-DB" tool to connect to datamarts than the "Input Data" tool.  Now that we have Alteryx Server available, I was only able to use the "Input Data" tool to run in Alteryx Server but not for "Connect In-DB" tool.  Is anybody able to use "Connect In-DB" tool in Alteryx Server?  if so, what were the steps needed or there is a documentation on it somewhere I overlooked in Alteryx Community.

Sincerely,

Andy

9 REPLIES 9
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DrydenChicago 

Please check this help.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/database-overview

• To run workflows on Alteryx Server, the ODBC driver must be configured as a System DSN. For in-database processing, the Connection Type must be "System" in addition to the ODBC connection being configured as a System DSN.

JoeL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @DrydenChicago 

What you want to do is use the File option for configuring In-DB connections that you want to use on Server.

First off, configure your In-DB to have a file that describes the connection parameters, instead of User/System

In-DB for Server.png

Then, when saving your workflow to gallery, make sure this connection parameter file is selected to upload with your workflow to the server when saving:

In-DB for Server 2.png

In-DB for Server 3.png

That's all there is to it.

DrydenChicago
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the note and suggestion.  The only connection type I have is "File" and "User", not "System".  Not sure why but the other suggestion from Joel works.

DrydenChicago
7 - Meteor

Thanks JoeL!!  That was helpful!

helpfultoaster
Alteryx
Alteryx

You may need to run Designer as Administrator to get the System option to show in the dropdown

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Does that system DSN exist in older/all versions? Or was that something added at some point?

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Also, is it enough to have the admin version, or must you be running it  'as admin' ?

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I’d like to revive this thread. Can anyone confirm if this helps in 2023?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Mjohnce
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, I have interest with my user community to see if using some sort of INDB connection could help alleviate the modules with the longer run times that query from a cloud database.