Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Block until Done tool issue - When we use Publish to Tableau server tool

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

We are facing an issue when we are using the Block until done tool with Publish to tableau server tool.

The actual use of Block Until Done to stop datasets from moving downstream until the last record in the set has been processed by all previous tools. However, when if we connect to the Tableau publish to server tool it will not work as expected.

E.g When I executed this workflow with an 8L record, the first set sequence is completed then the second sequence started. Unfortunately without completing the second sequence, the third sequence started to execute. The problem is published to the tableau server tool is keep on uploading the files to the server.

Ariharan_0-1666385044889.png

Please note that if we run the workflow with minimal data, the block until done tool works as expected. Regardless of other downstream tools, the Published to Tableau server tool authentication process is executed as the first step when we executed the workflow.😔

How can it be fixed or does anyone have any workaround solutions.?

Regards, 

Ariharan R

5 REPLIES 5
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Ariharan all input tolls run first regardless of where they are in a workflow. It may be that the authentication of the Tableau tool works the same. Have you tried putting the Tableau tool in a standard macro to see if that stalls it? You could also look at the throttle tool before the Tableau tool. 

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @DanM , 

Thanks for the lightning reply..!

From what I understand the Publish to tableau server tool is not an input tool. It processed and published the data to the tableau system. So I thought it was an output tool.

1. Why does the authentication take place at the beginning of the workflow.?
2. Publish to Tableau server is not compatible with block until done tool.?
3. If I am going to use the throttle tool it will affect the workflow execution time. E.g. Without the throttle tool, the workflow was executed for about 4 hours. If I use the throttle tool it takes more than 4 hours.

Regards, 

Ariharan.R

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Ariharan The behavior of it looks like it MAY be doing that and the reason why putting in a macro will stall it. It's just a thought. You would have to contact Support to confirm. It should be able to work with the Block Until Done tool, but I don't know enough of the makeup of the tool to understand how the authentication works. Lastly, yes, the throttle tool will slow the workflow down. I would try the macro route and if that doesn't work, contact support to see if they have a work around. Or hopefully someone else on the Community has experienced this before and has an answer.

Sorry I can't be more help.

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@Ariharan  - Have you tried adding another Block Untill Done tool  between the 2nd sequence and the publish to tableau tool? so the second sequence connects to another Block untill done whose 1ts sequence connects to the publish to tableau :)

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi, @Ariharan 

There is a trick in order to manage the execution order. Please try to connect the Count tool and the Field Append tool as shown in the following figure. The 2nd Execution is executed only after the 1st execution is executed. This is accomplished using the properties of the blocking tool. 

AkimasaKajitani_0-1667732084910.png