Python SDK v2
on 05-16-2023 10:47 PM - edited Thursday by baileykaplan
Version 2 of AYX Python SDK is now available. For the best experience, and to ensure compatibility with the most recent versions of Designer, please use v2 of AYX Python SDK.
- To learn more about v2 of the AYX Python SDK, go to Changes and Improvements to Python SDK in v2.0.0.
- If you need to access v1 documentation, you can download the content.
The AYX Python SDK lets you extend the functionality of Alteryx Designer via custom tools and plugins. This SDK serves as the back-end engine component. Combine it with the AYX UI SDK (which serves as the user interface component) to create your custom tool or plugin.
The AYX Python SDK requires that the AMP Engine is enabled.
To get started with the AYX Python SDK, you need these items installed on your machine:
- Microsoft Windows 7 or Later (64-bit)
- Python Version 3.8.5*
- Alteryx Designer Version 2021.4
*if you are building a tool for Designer 2024.1, you should use Python 3.10.13 and access the Beta version via Public Preview.
To install the AYX Python SDK, run
pip install ayx-python-sdk.
- This command provides the AYX Plugin CLI (top-level CLI) as well as the AMP Provider classes.
- The AYX Plugin CLI uses the Python SDK CLI to manage the creation and installation of Python tools.
As noted above, you can install the package via pip. Any updates to packages will also be available on pip. You do not need to update or manage this package directly since it is a dependency of the AYX Plugin CLI.
You can access the AYX Python SDK documentation at https://alteryx.github.io/ayx-python-sdk/index.html. Additionally, after you install the AYX Python SDK distribution, you can run
ayx_python_sdk docs to access the help documentation locally.