This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
Just to make sure I'm reading it correctly, which DMBS?
The issue might not be the SQL itself, but rather how it got into the Alteryx SQL editor. Alteryx accepts data from a copy/paste strangely somtimes.
General practice I follow:
1. Don't directly copy and paste out of another tool into an Alteryx SQL editor. Sometimes it will get pasted as Rich Text instead of Plain Text.
2. Don't directly copy and paste over RDP. Same issue as above, but it all depends on where you are copying from.
3. Instead of a direct copy/paste, paste it to an intermediate location. Generally Notepad running on the same machine you have Alteryx is the way to go. Paste there first, then copy/paste to Alteryx SQL editor.
4. If all else fails, manually type it.
5. If manually typing it fails, flip over to the visual query builder. Although that comes with its own set of nuances as well.
I've checked with our Support and Product team and they have confirmed that Alteryx uses the same format and language for SQL as the SQL developer. So the most likely source of this issue is that some of the values, such a pipes, contain a different numeric back-end value between programs, making the query rich text instead of plain text. This is more of a Windows issue then a Alteryx SQL editor issue so unfortunately there is nothing we can do at this point to alleviate this error. The best workarounds for this would be to paste your query in a notepad to return it to plain text rather then rich text like @patrick_mcauliffe mentions.