Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

render a table into excel - incorrectly truncated data

ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am having trouble render a table into excel.  The Table output looks fine in the Browse Tool but when I render it to Excel I get the following warning.  The excel file that is generated is of no use.

Warning: Render (9): The current page layout will cause some data to be incorrectly truncated. You may consider modifying how the data is laid out.

I can't figure out how to modify the data layout to get all the data to come through to the excel file.

4 REPLIES 4
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @ChrisB_dup_72

Here's a few things to try....in your table tool set the Table Width to Automatic..

TableTool.PNG

And in the Render tool set your paper size to custom and the size to something like 50 x 50 (you want to play around with these sizes to get a good fit)

RenderTool.PNG

ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

That worked.  Thank you very much!

Pat360
5 - Atom

Hello - 
Another workaround that I noticed works for me is in the Render tool, choose a Paper Size in the drop down that is slightly larger than the standard "Letter" 8.5 x 11 inches (215.9 x 279.4 mm) such as :

- A3 : 11.7 x 16.5 in (297 x 420 mm)

- B4 : 9.8 x 13.9 in (250 x 353 mm)

Render Tool.png

Note: 

This needs to be done in conjunction with:

- any Basic Table tool set to "Automatic"

- the Layout tool set to "Automatic"

Tools.png

Output to Excel, Word & PDF:

- It's actually interesting... it's almost like by setting a wider than standard output on the Render tool, it allows for the data in the Basic Table and Layout tool to "grow into" the columns... and voila! no truncation!

- Also a HUGE BONUS, I tested the output to Excel, PDF and Word (the only three formats I tested), and it auto-formats to the page size width in both Portrait & Landscape mode!!! That means no fighting with a table with rows that spill over to multiple pages. 

- Last thing, for this to work.... you should set the "Margin (in.)" in the Rebder tool to "1.0 inch". This will allow for enough space for when you actually print the page, and not have the printer cutoff your table!!

Hope this helps!

Kmassey
7 - Meteor

Thank you for this info! Not sure why it's so hard in Alteryx but this series of tools and your R&A helped me immensely.

Labels