Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using the download tool to upload to SFTP Error - correct address config

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am attempting to use the download tool to upload to an SFTP per the instructions here

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845

I have had luck with this workflow uploading to other ftp's, but this client provided me with a host that is equivalent to an IP address, which I suspect may be a point of error. 

I have confirmed that I am able to access the SFTP via WinSCP, so I know that my credentials are correct, and that the public IP address associated to our network has been whitelisted- which is why im particulary confident that the errors are related to my tool configuration. 

The two errors im getting are the following:

• When the address is set to the straight IP address i.e. XX.XXX.XX.XXX
    • Error Transferring Data: Couldn't connect to server 
    • This fails consistently after 22 seconds
  • When i prepend sftp:// or sftp:// to the ip address i.e. "Sftp://XX.XXX.XX.XXX" or "FTP://XX.XXX.XX.XXX"
    • Error transferring data: Error in the SSH layer
    • This fails after roughly two seconds

I've also tried applying the throttle tool after the block until done tool, because I was wary that the FTP may have a default query limit applied, but I still continued to encounter the above errors.

I've also requested that the owners of the SFTP supply us with a different host name, but im not sure if thats possible, and have yet to hear back.

Has anyone else had experience using the download tool to upload to SFTP, specifically when the host name is listed as a straight IP address? Any other suggestions for correctly configuring my tools I would appreciate it!

7 REPLIES 7
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you try appending a colon and a port number to the IP? I'd try 22 and 2222.

XX.XXX.XX.XXX:22

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

The suggested solution 

XX.XXX.XX.XXX:22/

was successful! thank you

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichalM ,

The workflow ran without errors, however I'm not actually seeing it post to the sftp. The DownloadData field after the download tool is showing the following error:

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.6
Protocol mismatch.

Any chance you have encountered this error before?

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

I haven't but it seems to be related to the fact that the server you're connecting to is expecting a different protocol on port 22. Could you check with the admin of the SFTP to understand what ports are open on the server and for what purposes?

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Hmm. i can check in with them, but provided credentials specified protocol: SFTP [Port 22]. What would be the next avenue to investigate?

I still am able to connect to SFTP via WinSCP and drag and drop files from my local machine

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is there anything else you've configured via WinSCP? Like proxy?

mkav9893
8 - Asteroid

Our session uses:

File Protocol: SFTP

HostName = Given IP address

Port Number = 22

Username + password.

Looking at the advanced options, SFTP server is set to default, and preferred sftp protocol version = 6.

We do not have a proxy enabled

Labels