Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Table tool (reporting) Dynamically Rename Header

BPurcell2
9 - Comet

I'm creating a report using the Alteryx Table reporting and layout tools.  The report shows most recent month, quarters, and YTD as columns with different dimensions as rows.  I'm having difficulty in making the workflow run each month since the latest month changes.

I thought I would be able to use Column rule in the table configuration to replace a standard monthly header with the most recent month (using a couple of nested timedate formulas).

I set the rule to header only and I inserted my formula at the bottom -- the header did not change.  I kept the formula but added a text color option -- the header text color changed, but the value did not.

Is this a bug or expected operation?  

Here's my config window:

BPurcell_0-1613057806040.png

3 REPLIES 3
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @BPurcell2 

You can use a logic similar to this to get exactly how you want everything to be named. I think it becomes a much easier logic. Using the text input to have a reference table, the find and replace and the dynamic rename to fix the name.

pedrodrfaria_0-1613077941555.png

Pedro.

BPurcell2
9 - Comet

Thanks for the reply Pedro, but I'm afraid the dynamic rename won't work here.  When I attempt to run the next month, the table tool will show May as missing and not pickup the new Month (unless, I check add fields dynamically).  Then that value will be out of place in my table.

I can probably figure out a set of tables and layouts, but a relatively simple task winds up need a bunch of extra tools to simply rename a header based on a formula.

i have a love / hate relationship with the reporting pallet -- it continues to feel half-baked.

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Hi @BPurcell2 

I am not totally sure how you want to present the data finally, but I could change the header name in the table.

Steps

1. In a separate file, I took header information of the original file as a row.

2. Appended that row with original data set using union

3. Put that header row ( content from step 1) as the first row ( of data)

4. Use the dynamic rename tool to take the first row as the header.

arundhuti726_0-1613114327260.pngarundhuti726_1-1613114344586.png

If I change my source file to have 11 as the max month, then I get nov as my column header

arundhuti726_0-1613115933648.png

Observe the position of "Dynamic or missing fields" in the "Table Tool" configuration.

Regards

Arundhuti

Labels