Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Table reporting tool replacing negative sign with parentheses

abrasch
8 - Asteroid

The Table reporting tool is automatically replacing negative signs with parentheses to represent negative numbers. I believe this became an issue after upgrading to v.2021.4 -- I am putting in a case with Alteryx support, but wanted to post here as well; perhaps missing a new setting in the Table tool?

Data in Select tool before  Table tool
Select tool before Table.png

Data in Table

Table Browse.png

14 REPLIES 14
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks for raising this @abrasch I can't see any setting which would let us change this, nor anything in the xml of the tool which makes reference to style of negative numbers. I couldn't see anything in the user settings either 🤔

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

As a follow up to this, the accounting format is maintained when rendered to html and pdf, but not when rendered to excel.  Excel output has the minus sign

Dan

abrasch
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for digging into this deeper @OllieClarke  and @danilang! I did lodge a support case last Friday, so hopefully this issue is resolved expeditiously--it's not ideal to have to explain to clients why reporting outputs suddenly changed and there's no way for us to globally address.

Aparker8709
7 - Meteor

I second everything @abrasch said. 

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you for bringing up this issue!  It's been reported to our development team for 2021.4,1, defect ID GCSE-366 (although this ID will change as it's taken up by a developer). 

A temporary workaround is to add a Select Tool before the Table Tool to change the numeric data to a String.  This conversion will use a negative sign, as desired.  You can use a Formula Tool if you have specific format requirements.  You'll also want to confirm any row or column formatting in the Table Tool operates as expected with the data type change.

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
abrasch
8 - Asteroid

Hi @EdP,
Was this issue not addressed in the new version of 2021.4 that was released today?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @abrasch 

According to the release notes here, this issue hasn't been fixed yet.

Dan

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi  @abrasch -

The defect was relabeled TDSL-4164 and shows that the correction will be available in the 2022.1 release. For 2021.4 you can try the workaround to use a Select Tool to convert the numeric data to a String prior to the Table Tool. Note: this may impact row and column formatting rules in the Table Tool’s configuration.

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
abrasch
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the update @danilang and @EdP. The workaround is not viable due to the impacts you stated and the extra effort this requires in many apps/workflows. Patiently waiting for 2021.1 release.

Labels