Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Simple Join Tool Time Saver

mattagone
7 - Meteor

I would like it if there was an option in the join tool to populate all columns. I frequently validate data by comparing the same table to itself in different points in time. Manually hitting the drop down for each column (even though it's auto-populating on the right side) can be a hassle, especially for our wider tables. This would only be useful if in addition to populating all columns it maintained the functionality of populating it on the right side.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @mattagone!

I actually just built a macro yesterday that does something similar....errors when two inputs don't match exactly. But it sounds like you would still want to see the L-J-R outputs. Thankfully, through macros, there is a way to populate all the fields in a Join. Simply Insert the attached macro to your canvas (right click on the canvas --> Insert --> Macro...) and connect data to both inputs. In the macro's configuration, choose the fields you wish to join on. Assuming the right connector has all the same fields you choose, the macro will perform a join on all the selected fields and show you the L-J-R outputs just like a normal join.

How does the macro work? Well...you can right click any macro and select "Open macro...." to see it's inner mechanism. In short, XML code is created by the List Box tool and then the Action tools replace the appropriate XML of the Join with the new XML. All tools in Alteryx can be fully described by XML and the Interface tools are a great way to leverage XML to change tools in ways not otherwise possible. Credit goes to @AdamR_AYX, as I borrowed the XML configuration of a Join tool from his Only Unique CReW macro. If you haven't heard of the CRew macros, they are really helpful! Check them out here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, let me know!

mattagone
7 - Meteor

Great solution, thanks for sharing!

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

@DultonM Do you know how to utilize this in a macro? For example, I want the user to be able to join together their two data files and then do some processing on it. The join and processing are going to be put in a macro so I want to use this join macro in the overall macro. However field names change so I need to update the list with the field names from whatever data is being provided.

Labels